As I dive into my art project all the logistics start splashing and swooshing around in my head. I've decided to do a series of shows, the first one is on Friday Dec 13. The series is simply called In Search of Sight there will be capsule shows that capture a certain aspect of my optical journey. The designer side of me kicked in to gear and I came up with a logo/mark. have a peep at my process:
1. As many of you know I've been bombing these Johnny dill stickers since WMC 2007, (started as a joke, ended up being a fun mark to leave as I traveled and met people). While my retina was detaching in my left eye I was seeing lighting images in that eye at night. Since i have a bolt on the sticker in the same eye I found it very Ironic and iconic. So when I was thinking about a mark for in Search of Sight I knew the bolt must be incorporated.
2. Here are my first drafts and an image I saw the day after I worked on them. I must have been channeling my late teen days of rocking out to Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder voice popped in my head and said try again.
3. The next few days I was thinking about ideas, but nothing! One night I was telling my optical journey to a new friend. As I got to the circle square glasses i found in HK. I was like thats it!! These glasses were a comical moment for me and depicting how I felt visually.
4. While I was working on the next draft, a cracked Ying Yang photo I took in Bali kept popping in my head. To me this image represented a crack in my good eye, thus balancing my eyes in some strange way. While recovering in singapore I looked at this image numerous times, and again thought it was ironic that i captured it.
5. Here is the final design. I wanted to come up with an iconic mark that had a bit of all the above mixed in the concept. Then it was time to add the text , I was not happy with any of my 12 attempts, however number 13 was the magic number yet again. I decided to follow the simple is better rule - with an eye chart touch.
Thats it In a semi big nutshell , Thanks for having a read. much love, j